Wednesday, June 24, 2009

two ideas

1.) Results oriented action. Life is unpredictable, but somewhat consistent. They idea that we can know, with surety, the next moment does not create a kind of bad faith. Things seem to work out as planned, making it safe to anticipate the reaction and results of our actions. 'Anger the Gods; make plans' fizzles into a harder reality of 'anger the Gods; lack expectations.'

So for schooling. Outcome-based teaching seems a rational approach to education. Figure out what we want our students to know, to know how to do and to feel; create lessons that enable students to know, to know how to and to feel. Results; proof; efficacy.

Yet striving for outcomes depends on a messy process. Knowledge, skills and disposition are not produced so easily in a lab setting, much less the decidedly unsterile schoolhouse. Too many factors jump into play for teachers or students. What is learned does not easily fit into concise, clearly conceptualized results. Broadly, yes; a student learns to add, to dissect, to read, to understand how a bill gets enacted. If these rather broad goals count as results, then outcome-based teaching has a strong kind of validity. In fact, the broader the goals, the less we care about the mess. Learning on a macro-level does not impose complexity. Increasingly, though, learned is being targeted on the micro-level. We must deal with the mess; the divergent nature of knowledge and skills and the highly individual psychology of every student.

Put another way, schooling resembles a court case. The law is what it is, but the process determines the reality of the abstract law. And that process is highly contingent (the personalities of the lawyers and judges and juries; the particulars of any case; the social climate and norms present at the time of the case), thus messy. The results of the case can not be known ahead of time, even though the broad outline can be: the law will be applied in a way that does little damage to what the law means.

The little things are the most unpredictable and least conducive to plan for. However, they are the heart of how truth is discovered.

2.) Understanding life. In a longish discussion on affirmative action, I tried to make the case that using race as a 'plus' factor for a candidate will not help bring about the end to race-based decisions (on hiring, school admissions, whatever). Even as a transition, from the overtly racist, white paternalism, to a more just society, I doubted that using race to move past using race would effect any social change. My partner explained something, though, that I found important: Blacks have lived the experience of being black. No matter how equal the qualifications between two candidates - one black; the other white - the lived experiences in contemporary America will be different.

To be clear, I have no delusions that such a thing as "equal qualifications" exist, nor the immense value of diversifying a faculty or student body for its own sake. And I understand the logic of compensatory measures to equilibrate the diversity of an organization. My concerns are that such action will not lead to overcoming such actions.

And this argument which I found really strong - the experience of being a minority in America - got me thinking. By this, do we mean that a black's experience of being black is enough? In other words, is their blackness itself the worthy feature of their experience? Or is it their ability to experience their experience of being black? Is there a difference between hiring someone who is black and hiring someone who is conscious of the experience of being black? The distinction seems crucial, since awareness of experience is not limited to minorities, and thus perhaps a better description of what race in American means.

For example, I am white, Jewish, well educated and from successful parents. This experience is not unique in itself. Nor does it lend me to an untapped perspective on things. But let's say that I come to understand what it means to be white in American; I develop a consciousness complementary and opposite of blacks who are conscious of their experience in being black. And I develop a consciousness of being Jewish; the consciousness of being relatively privileged and secure as I grew-up; the conscious of what these mean in society today. Would these levels of awareness mean that I have a similar experience as minorities who are conscious of and understanding for being a minority in America?

Perhaps this sounds all very dismissive to the real plight of many in America, of the history of real discrimination and poverty suffered, of the actual experience of living this experience. It may be that my words here make it seem like I am looking for a way to explain away this experience, to not have to deal with it, by turning a lived experience into a concept, and a concept that I can arrange for myself. And maybe what I have just done is demonstrate to those, like my partner, who argue for diversity as a value itself to slap awake those, like me, who can not truly know what it means to live in the other Americas.

I probably agree, then, to all that. My point, though, is to help make clear the messiness of our concepts and actions, to anchor what is to be done more snugly into the bedrock of why we need to do it. This post may be a terrible, and possibility ignorant and insulting attempt. Grant me the chance to start here as I make my way somewhere better.

No comments:

Post a Comment